Having a toddler means you are constantly on the go – whether you are actually traveling anywhere or not! Because my little girl is so extremely busy, I struggle to come up with healthy recipes that are also relatively quick. I have been learning to use fresh ingredients in simple ways to create the best quick meals for my family. One of my favorites to make is chicken salad. This recipe is much healthier than the traditional recipe, because I swap out mayonnaise for Greek yogurt, then add fruit and nuts for extra nutritional advantages.
The first step in this recipe is to cook the chicken. Traditionally, the chicken is usually poached or boiled, but I prefer to saute it for more flavor. I add one tablespoon of olive oil to an 8 inch skillet and turn the burner on medium heat. Next, I season two boneless, skinless chicken breasts (roughly one and a half pounds) with one teaspoon of salt and half of a teaspoon of ground black pepper. Once the olive oil is hot, I add the chicken. The chicken should be cooked until an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit is reached.
- You can check the temperature by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest portion of the chicken.
While the chicken is cooking, I go ahead and prepare the rest of my ingredients to cut down on total time. I dice one half of a yellow onion, one half of a cup of red or green seedless grapes, and chop one half of a cup of pecans.
After the chicken is thoroughly cooked, it should be set aside to cool for a few minutes. Next, I take two forks and shred the chicken completely. This step is honestly the longest part and it takes me roughly 5 minutes. I then add ten ounces of plain Greek yogurt, one tablespoon of honey, the diced onion and grapes, and chopped pecans. Stirring is the last step, and I am done!
The chicken salad is complete in about 20 minutes, start to finish. I love eating this with whole wheat crackers or in a wrap with lettuce and tomato.
- 1 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 10 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup seedless grapes (diced)
- ½ Yellow Onion (diced)
- ½ cup Pecans (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in skillet
- Season raw chicken with salt and pepper
- Add chicken to skillet; cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees fahrenheit
- While chicken is cooking, dice onion and grapes, and chop pecans
- Once chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from pan and let cool
- Shred chicken and put into bowl
- Add Greek yogurt, honey, onion, grapes, and pecans to chicken
- Stir and ENJOY!
With Love, Jeni