At the beginning of the week, I bake a few pounds of chicken breasts and make different meals each day using this chicken. One of the easiest and most delicious is this quesadilla recipe. It only has a couple of ingredients, and you can pick and choose if you want to remove or add anything to them! This particular recipe is for 2 quesadillas.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 a yellow onion
- 1 avocado
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use mozzarella and cheddar)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Bake the chicken at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- While chicken is cooking, slice onion and avocado.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and slice or shred it into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onions to the pan and cook until soft. Remove.
- Add one tortilla to the pan, then sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese onto it.
- Add 1/2 the chicken, 1/2 the sautéed onion, and 1/2 the avocado on top of the cheese.
- Add another 1/4 cup of cheese onto the chicken, avocado, and onion. Place the second tortilla on top.
- After about 5 minutes, flip the quesadilla over and let it brown on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and cut into four pieces.
- Repeat steps 6-10 for your second quesadilla.
I usually eat my quesadillas with plain greek yogurt, as a healthy alternative to sour cream! You can easily remove any of the fillings above, and add your own favorites – like bell peppers instead of avocado or steak instead of chicken! Make the recipe yours and I hope you enjoy!
With Love, Jeni